RE: shim - transport/app communication

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 12:04 +0200, Kurtis Lindqvist wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Bound, Jim wrote:
>> > So I'm afraid that applications that want to take advantage of shim
>> > might need to use a different address family, at least.
>>
>> That is a non starter and will never be supported.  Might as well move
>> them to SCTP.

I agree with Jim ;)

Actually, the only thing an application should depend on here is that it
supports IPv6 addresses, though I have to note that shim6 should be
named 'shim', as this trick can also work for IPv4 and then they would
not even need IPv6 for that matter. But the minimal requirement we could
set is "use a getaddrinfo() loop to cycle through all the addresses",
the ULID magic can be put in the getaddrinfo() function which returns
ULID's instead of the routing IP's.

If the host doesn't have knowledge of ULID, thus it doesn't support
shim, then it will simply use the normal routing IP's. Another box,
further down the route, eg a gateway, can then take care of the
shimming.

>In general the shim6 would have to be as transparent to the application
>(API) as possible.

Ack. getaddrinfo()+inet_ntop()+inet_pton() is supposed to allow this and
if appwriters would use these they would not even have to know about
AFI's, only about the fact that they need a long enough buffer to store
some strings in ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen