Re: how mobile do we want to be

On 18-mrt-05, at 17:58, Jari Arkko wrote:

Actually, I think we can eat the cake and save it too.
In fact, if you look at the basic mechanisms already
proposed for Multi6/Shim6, at their fundamental
level they *are* capable of doing both multihoming
and mobility, and with either fast or slowly changing
addresses. I'm talking about the use of the existing
CGA format for HBAs, which allows the use of dynamic
addresses when necessary.

What about the patent situation?

P.S. There is no proposal on the table that
would use PKI for anything. Mobility as such
doesn't need PKI.

No, but it does need a home address, so you don't get multihoming with existing mobility. If you want multihoming AND mobility you need strong crypto to authenticate adding addresses to existing sessions. You are right that CGAs could at least avoid the need for a PKI, but they're still relatively heavy-weight.

For those of you who weren't there: there has been discussion in multi6 and its various design teams about whether a single solution would be usable for all multihoming needs. Such a solution would then have to cater to the highest performance, most restricted devices, least secure environments and highest security requirements at the same time. Dropping one or two of these extremes makes everything _much_ easier.