Re: how mobile do we want to be

 On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:40:32 +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>  I don't believe we have any chance
>  of rapid success unless we tackle a finite and well understood
>  problem.

i concur.

>  The general issues of mobility are currently arousing some
>  interest in the IAB, which seems the right place.

i can't imagine how or why.  the iab does not produce engineering solutions.

>  I don't, however, believe that shim6 does any harm to
>  mobility, and ensuring that property is in scope, of course.

i am trying to guess the basis for such a claim. my guess is that there is a collection of folk who think they understand such details, but i'm hard-pressed to think of where any of this is documented, and thereby subject to objective, external evaluation.

this topic has been under discussion for a very long time.  that makes it easy to think that issues have been dealt with, even when they haven't.

the draft charter is primarily notable for its lack of explanation.  it does not explain what the problem is, other than to reference "site multihoming" and does not explain the solution path, other than to say that it will be whatever was under discussion earlier and elsewhere.

please imagine being new to the topic and trying to read the charter, to understand what the actual problem is and what the benefits of the solution will be.  you will find none of this discussed in the draft charter.

you might note that i am not proffering suggested texts or approaches. if and when the group shows some interested in that discussion, i'll be glad to participate.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking