Re: shim - transport/network communication

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:08:01 -0800
Baker Fred <fred@cisco.com> wrote:
> In mobility, the counterpart of that issue is in a cell handoff or
> equivalent. There are of course cases where the device simultaneously
> loses connectivity one way and regains it another, resulting in a
> handoff that loses traffic. However, it would be really nice if (as is
>  in fact done in at least some telephone models) in some cases we
>  could
> presume that the device was reachable by two addresses and could
> advise  its peer that it was in the process of changing. That would
> allow it to  continue to receive on the old address for an interval
> while also being  willing to receive on the new address, and when the
> peer made that  change seeing its data stream change. It would further
> be nice of it  could inject advice to its new router interface (which
> might even be on  the same router) asking that the old address be
> temporarily routed by  the network to that interface, so that even the
> old-address traffic  could find its way to the device subsequent to
> connectivity loss.

When speaking about mobility, if it's about a mobile node operating
Mobile IPv6 or NEMO Basic Support, draft-wakikawa-mobileip-multiplecoa
and other drafts are about giving the possibility to use both interfaces
at the same time. Of course, there are open issues, and we intend to
discuss such issues in the monami6 bof that we want to set up at next
IETF.

Also, we would like the application or the user to be able to choose
which interfaces should be used according to a set of policies.

Thierry