Re: shim - transport/network communication

Joe Abley wrote:

On 21-Mar-05, at 5:56 PM, Baker Fred wrote:

And I worry much about a solution which, for lack of thinking about such things, picks the worst path simply because it has less AS's in it or some such thing. We do far too much of that in the Internet.

In that case we are saying the same thing -- dictating what "best" means (or, from another point of view, considering that there is only one "best" way) is a Bad Idea.

That's why, in the architecture of shim6, IMHO we should clearly separate the process of choosing the next address pair to use from the process of actually starting to use those addresses. The first part (choosing) I would regard as a pluggable component where implementers will no doubt learn with experience, and probably need not even be standardized.

   Brian