RE: how mobile do we want to be

Margaret,

> I know that this isn't how we typically do things in the IETF.
> However, I am not sure that we are doing this in the IETF.  The only
> place I know that this particular problem is being considered is in
> the IEEE (802.21, IIRC).   It also seems likely to me that some of
> the cell phone standards bodies are looking at this (3GPP or 3GPP2,
> for instance), but I haven't heard of anything specific going on
> there, have you?
>
> I think that mobile IP could be used for something like this, but not
> without cooperation from the cell phone providers, right?

Going further off-topic - in 3GPP, interworking is being specified.
MIP and Mobike are being considered for solutions for session continuity;
but then there are technologies like UMA which essentially tunnels the
cellular protocols over WLAN.  This Iljitsch would probably consider
serious voodoo, but that is fodder for more off-topic posts.

3GPP2 is already using MIPv4 and has interest in MIPv6 and are studying
how to provide session continuity for CDMA - WLAN handovers; MIP being
a strong potential candidate. My info on this may be somewhat outdated,
though.

John