RE: shim - transport/network communication

> I find myself wondering whether we could use something akin to an
> ICMPv6 Route Redirect to ask the network to cache such
> disparities and
> advise a host of a superior next hop and address pair to use at the
> network layer when instantiating a host-host exchange...

I believe in thought this is the right architecture discussion and
approach and should be on the table.  This would inform the app of new
interface (or same) and requires to use new address or if we define them
and they don't break the APIs apart, to use the new address to the ISP.
This could be done with asynchronous signal to the current APIs used.
The abstraction presents using network information to help solve the
problem and I agree.

With SCTP this would also work very well and sorry about that :--)

/jim