Re: Flow label - the problem

On 21-apr-2005, at 20:53, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

In BGP and other routing protocols systems usually have a router id so another system can detect that it's talking to the same remote system over different links. We can do the same thing here. This value doesn't have to have any meaning to the remote system, the only requirement is that it's unique. A good choice for this would be one of the IP addresses of a host or maybe the interface identifier if that contains enough uniqueness.

but in this case, the real context tag used for demux would be the id, not the flow id value. so you would have to include it in every packet, back to where we start, i am afraid.. or i am missing something?

No, this id would be looked at when selecting the flow label for a new session. I.e.: when selecting a new flow label, the host would see if the flow label overlaps with one currently used, and then:

- overlaps with known non-shim session: allow if dest addr is different
- overlaps with known shim session: allow if shim id is different
- overlaps with session of unknown type: don't allow

There are probably other places wher ethe shim id would be useful too.

Iljitsch