Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

Hi Greg,

El 27/04/2005, a las 3:47, Greg Daley escribió:
I guess that there need to be some considerations on where the headers
are (TCP, UDP, DestOpt), and their relative position with regards
to IPSec (notably non-null encryption ESP).

Clearly there should be some security mechanism with which to secure
the mapping.

I am not sure what are considering here...

I mean, SHIM data packets will be different to those of MIPv6, becuase they will not carry multiple addresses for the DST(or src).
I mean in MIPv6, data packets carry both the HoA and the CoA (i.e. the ULID and the locator)
In shim, data packet will only carry the locator (which sometimes will also be the ULID, i.e. when no rehoming has occurred)

So in data packets, there is no need to protect no binding since there won't be any (contained in the data packets)

OTOH, SHIM signaling packets will carry the alternative locators for the ULID (those are like BU i guess) Those packets do carry binding information and need to be protected, but they will be protected through a special SHIM security mechanisms (whether CGA or HBA). I guess that both the locator and the security information will be carried in a new extension header defined for shim imho.

  It would be good to have sufficient information to
identify which IPSec SA to use (some are identified by address) - this
is the first Dest Option position from RFC2460, and then also to
protect the binding for the identities and locators (either another
destination option (inside ESP from RFC2460), or a payload).

You mean that SHIM is processed before IPSec, right? In that case, the ULID is restored before IPSec processing...

I guess this is the goal, so that IPSec SA can survive outages, i.e. that even if locator changes, packets are presented to IPSec as coming from the ULID

This issue has been visited a few times in SEND (where IPsec wasn't used
because of multicast, but included because of CGA discussion) and
Mobile IPv6 (Where IPSec is used, but the external header is
unprotected, and needs additional checks).

Right, imho this is the same for SHIM here, The shim header will not protected by IPSec, but by a specific SHIM security mechanisms (keep in mind that data packets do not carry any SHIM binding information as opoosed to MIP)

Where the outside identifier for the signalling isn't globally unique
(and what is...) there's going to be a difficulty in mapping the
identifier if the new message comes from a location not in the set.

Well, i was thinking about this point, and i guess that the packet that contains a new locator that is not contained in the locator set known by the peer will need to also carry the SHIM header contianing the security information to validate that the new locator is securely associated to the ULID. In this case, if the SHIM header processing is done before the packet processing (i don't know if this makes any sense, though), the the result would be:

- A packet containing an unknown locator as source address and also contains a SHIM header binding the unknown locator to an ULID for which a SHIM context exists.
So,
- The SHIM header is processed and the new locator contained in the is verified and added to the locator set available to the ULID
- Next, the IPv6 header is processed, but now the source locator is contained in the set, so the packet can be demux properly
- The packet is processed by the SHIM and the ULID is restored.

Personally, I guess that it's OK to have two identifiers, one of which
could inhabit a destination option (if it was considered important).

imho this is not needed

what is needed is a context tag in order to demux packets that contain a locator that differs from the ULID used for the communication. (note that when the packet carries the ULIDs, there not even the need for a context tag, it is just a regular IPV6 packet without extension header)

This context tag can be carried in an extension header or flow label.

Regards, marcelo