Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

Hi Iljitsch,

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
[chop]
=> they are not end-to-end?

In most cases they will be. (It should be possible to implement the shim in middleboxes.) However, the reachability detection and negotiation packets will generally not carry higher-layer data so then there would be a destination option as sole payload, or we'd have to use another protocol (UDP?) to implement parts of the shim, creating the opportunity for some shim packets to pass filters and some to be blocked, which is a headache.

Please, Please let's not go there!

I don't think changing packets by insertion of headers unbeknownst
to the host is a good idea.

Even with the knowledge of the edge device, it's better not to have
these modifications by the network.

I didn't even think Routing Headers (Type 0 or IPv4) were a good idea.

A clever hack, but not a good idea.

Lets leave the source routing to the end devices and MPLS!

Greg