Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

Hi All,

At 12:14 PM +1000 5/18/05, Geoff Huston wrote:
=> I am sorry but I believe to propose major changes in IPv6 is no more
a good idea today. Perhaps you have a little deployment where you are
but don't expect it is the case everywhere...

I suspect that Shim6 is more of the nature of a "major change" than an "insignificant tweak", and the concept of explicit use of extension headers for signalling appeals to me much more than hacking away at header bits in the flow label. I would suggest that we should indeed attempt to engineer this using extension headers where extension headers are logically required.

I agree with Geoff -- SHIM6 will represent a major change to IPv6, anyway, so adding an extension header is not unreasonable.

My concern (once upon a time) with extension headers is that the use of extension headers on some packets and not others effectively presents a variable MTU to upper layers. We need to make sure that this is properly handled to avoid bad interactions with PMTU discovery code.

Margaret