Re: address pair exploration, flooding and state loss

On 27-mei-2005, at 17:28, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

However, if we assume that bidirectional connectivity is the most common, the fact that A sent something and B didn't get it is a good hint for B that this address probably won't work in the opposite direction either.

Since we want to arrive at one or two "good enough" pairs as quickly as possible, such hints could be valuable.

ok, this is a choice that we need to make: do we think that the bidirectional connectivity case will be common, so it makes sense to provide an optimized support for it?

Most failures break connectivity in both directions. Only when the unreachability is because of ingress filtering (or maybe some other filtering), unidirectional reachability is much more likely.

(because, this could also apply to the other threat that we are having, about detecting outages, right?

How is this "other"??

well, i guess i would always reply quite fast, but i would always include info about past probes... but i guess i will be able to see this point clearer once we have sketched a protocol

We have to be careful with this stuff: suppose a link for a site with many hosts goes down, then all those hosts are going to do reachability testing for all their sessions at the same time.

From your other message:

I would think that if one side triggers reachability testing, the other side would also do it.

wouldn't this mean assuming bidirectional connectivity?

I mean, would also do this is the locators used in one direction differ from the ones used in the other direction?

I don't understand...

If the upper layers are communicating, there is some kind of reachability. Could be that it's 2 x unidirectional hidden by shim magic, but still.

If packets aren't flowing at it looks like this isn't because applications are idle, we need to test reachability. At this point we don't assume bidirectional reachability: it's highly likely that the current testing was triggered by an outage, so it's even possible that there is _no_ reachability.

The thing is that we need to decide which paths are most likely to be viable, and test them quickly. If that doesn't work, we have to start checking less and less likely paths until we've tested everything in every direction at least two or three times.