Re: Failure Detection (was Re: soft state (was Re: shim6 and bit errors in data packet headers

On 6-jun-2005, at 20:12, Erik Nordmark wrote:

In my mind, given that some ULPs might not provide any advice and we want to provide failover on that case, we need the default behavior of the shim to be to probe at some frequency (once every 10 seconds or so?) when the ULP is sending packets.

Probing when you're sending is rather superflous: you're already sending in that direction so no need to send more. Having the other end send keepalives accomplishes the same thing with lower overhead: you get feedback that the other end is still there, but packets only flow in the otherwise idle direction.

Once we have the above, then I don't see what negative ULP advice would add. We clearly can't always send probes on negative advice, since that could mean that a congestive loss in the network would result in negative ULP advice, causing the host to send more packets, which could make the congestion worse.

:-)

Well I would hope it would result in a rehoming so a non-congested path would be selected.

If ULPs with different desires use the same ULID pair, then presumably the shim would have to operate on the minimum of the requested times. And the shim presumably needs to ensure that it doesn't try to probe more frequently than a conservative RTT estimate no matter what the ULPs desire.

Conservative RTT could be 1 ms on fast ethernet...