Re: I-D ACTION:draft-you-shim6-l3shim-state-management-00.txt

Hi Taewan,

been reading your draft and i have some questions about it.

in section 2.1 it is stated that in order to trigger TCP slow start the shim must:

When any locator change was occurred, L3Shim should discard the
entire packets from correspondent node during TCP-Congestion-
Triggering-Time. Consequently the TCP congestion control mechanism
triggers naturally by this one. The main key point is that how to set
up the time of TCP-Congestion-Triggering-Time enhancing performance.
It can be heuristic setting up the value.

Now, i think this is really a bad option. I mean, forcing the shim, which is supposed to be a mechanisms for improving the fault tolerance, to discard packets does not seems a good idea to me.

So, i would like to understand a bit more why this is needed and if so, if there are not other approaches that can be used.

w.r.t. the alternative approaches (keep in mind that i am not a TCP expert)

AFAIK TCP detects congestion based on two indications: lost packets and duplicate ACKs. The approach presented in your draft proposed to use the packet loss as a mean to indicate congestion to TCP. This has the obvious drawback that the shim is artifically discarding packets. The question is : wouldn't it be possible to use the duplicate ACK mechanism to indicate congestion to TCP? I mean, what if, after an outage, the shim passes to TCP during a while artificially created duplicate packets? wouldn't this result in TCP detecting congestion and acting accordingly?

Later on, it is stated that the other action that is performed would be:

Also, the VALID state, which is one of L3Shim state and is explained
in next chapter, keep up the situation expecting error for
operational primary address pair during Probably-Active-Duration-Time
with indirect TCP Congestion control separately, TCP Congestion
control mechanism should be achieved automatically.

Well, i fail to understand what you are proposing here, could you expand on this?

Regards, marcelo