RE: I-D ACTION:draft-you-shim6-l3shim-state-management-00.txt

Hello Marcelo,

About this point, there seemed to be so insufficient expectation at this
draft. Thank you for giving an opportunity to explain in detail again to me.

Please, find my inline comments.

As you already know, the TCP can detect packet loss using timeout occurring
and duplication ACK. The assumption of the algorithm is that packet loss
caused by damage is very small, therefore the loss of packet signals
congestion.

AFAIK the congestion control should react upon the two situations
differently. When the timeout occurs, the TCP slow start mechanism is
operated. The other case that receive duplication ACK, the TCP fast
retransmission mechanism is operated.

So, when an operational primary address pair should be changing, TCP fast
retransmission mechanism has been operated better than slow start for TCP
throughput.

However, the goal of site multihoming by L3Shim6 is supporting
fault-tolerant. But the goal of I proposed vertical layered communication is
expecting congestion situation where operational primary address pair switch
from a high-bandwidth LAN interface to a low bandwidth cellular interface,
and notifying TCP to perform TCP congestion control mechanisms beforehand.

In this draft, the notification of TCP should be performed by two timers;
Probably-Active-Duration-Time, TCP-Congestion-Triggering-Time.

For instance, when the primary address pair can be detected by receiving
ICMP error message or other layer 2 information, this detected failure do
not means that an operational primary address pair's rechability cut off.
This failure should be confirm local operational address? failure only. In
this situation, we indicated the VALID state was entered. Within this state,
there is no action until decided time (Probably-Active-Duration-Time) passed
so that the TCP congestion mechanism should be operated in naturally.
For example, we can establish Probably-Active-Duration-Time to small lest
the timeout should be occurred before receiving duplication ACK, so that the
duplication ACK can be receipt for fast retransmission within timeout after
achieving address pair changes completely. On the contrary, we can set the
Probably-Active-Duration-Time is bigger so that the slow start can be
operated by timeout occurring. Consequently we can control TCP congestion
mechanism through adjustment time of Probably-Active-Duration-Time

Before, we can use TCP-Congestion-Triggering-Time for indirect TCP
congestion control, we assume that the application would be able to tell the
L3Shim layer that the current connection in unsatisfactory. Whenever address
pair is changing under the situation where changed address pair is
unsatisfied, L3Shim should discard the entire packets from correspondent
node during TCP-Congestion-Triggering-Time to occur timeout. In other wards,
we should lead to operate the slow start of TCP congestion mechanism in case
of switching from high-bandwidth to lower-bandwidth.

I'm worry about that my explanation is unsatisfied for your question. If you
have any problem or comments about this draft, please hear your comments.
I'm highly welcomed.

Regards,
Taewan.