Re: policy information in dhcp

Iljitsch,
thank you for your comments at dhc session.

On 2005/08/04, at 18:49, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> The dhc wg just discussed taking on http://www1.tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcmarkup/rfcmarkup.cgi?repository=http://internet-drafts.org&draft=draft-fujisaki-dhc-addr-select-opt-00.txt as a working group item. The idea is to configure the IPv6 policy table from DHCPv6.
>
> Margaret said that it's not like the ipv6 wg is asking for this. However, I think this, or something like it, would be very useful when deploying the shim, for instance to avoid hitting ingress filtering needlessly or to do traffic engineering.
>
> We may want to formulate a position as a wg on this.

Actually, I presented the former version of our draft at multi6 session in IETF61st meeting and directed to goto ipv6 wg. At that time, my proposal was mainly for a multihoming site and also a kind of multihoming called "global and closed mixed connectivity".

Now, thanks to some peoples' comments, it is modified as a more generic mechanism for delivering address selection policy table and now serves as a solution for some more problems that have roots in multi-address environment such as IPv4/6 prioritization and renumbering transition.

So, what I want to say is that this proposal was intended to solve multihoming problems at first. If anybody has interest in this kind of mechanism, I'm glad to co-work on this.

--
Arifumi Matsumoto <a@arifumi.net>