Re: failure detection

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Paul Jakma wrote:

- reachability detection itself is unidirectional

 (iljitsch's draft mentions "unidirectional", i know, but wrt
  outside unidirectional issues. I'm proposing the reachability
  mechanism itself be unidirectional in nature. Two unidirectional
  paths == bi-directional :) )

I'd should explain this better:

- the protocol would be to implement "I can hear you", rather than
  "We can both hear each other" (as, eg, some other path-state
  protocols do - like OSPF Hello)

- As an optimisation, if the other side asks "Can you hear me?", you
  can at least infer "I can hear them" - and hence suppress a probe.

Aside: The address tuples used in each direction could be different

PS: I know all the reachability/probing/ULP-feedback talk is all still at exploratory stages. Hope I've not been /too/ presumptive in attacking ULP-feedback and n^2 probing (ie, attacking these when they're only being /considered/, rather than decided on. Just trying to nip these two particular ideas in the bud - at least for anything other than appendix 'implemention note' type material).

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: