Re: failure detection

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

so far this is exactly what is contained in Iljitsch draft, Jari's draft and this is the basic concesous we have so far as i understand it.

Well, unless I'm reading the wrong draft (the one Iljitsch did the presentation on at IETF?), my understanding of the draft is that it explores the various possible solutions and discusses some the considerations, but does not draw a conclusion.

So yes, I'm rehashing things in that draft, but I'm trying to focus the discussion by discounting some of the possible solutions (or at least relegating them to "implementation discretionary" and concentrate on specifics ;).

Is my understanding correct?

At this point, what we are discussing is how this monitoring mechanism should look like

Ok, good.

and how this ULP feedback should look like

I would discount this from consideration, other than to ensure any mechanism allows an implementation to make use of local positive feedback for optimising things.

- You can't mandate a shim6 implementation /must/ send probes
  regularly, to allow other side to use for reachability detection

not sure what you mean here....

You can't have one side expect to get regular 'pings' in order to determine reachability, otherwise local-positive-feedback to suppress probes/keepalives/pings/whatever-you-call-them would not be possible.

if you are saying that ULP feedback could result in avoiding shim probing, then i agree and this is exactly what we have been cosnidering

Great.

We have also agreed that failure detection need to be unidirection, the discussion now is whether the proposed mechanisms are actually unidirectional or whether they have an underlying bidirectional assumption

Unidirectional would, I guess, require that all the information needed to setup a shim is available in one message.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: