Re: about reachability detection draft

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

application won't give up, but when the shim can't find a working address pair, we should pass on the ICMP errors to the upper layer. At the same time, I'm not sure if we should ever really give up as long as upper layers keep sending traffic: connectivity can come back at any time.

For unmodified ULPs, is that wise?

The ICMP error has no context in the ULP, it's only context is the shim packet. Rather you need to interpret ICMP errors received and /maybe/ generate ICMP or other errors back up (there may or may not be a close correspondance).

Needs further thought imho.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A