Re: shim-aware transports

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:55:12PM +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Pekka, since the initial goal is no change to the ULPs,
> the state is all going to be in the shim, isn't it?
> (Or perhaps better to say, in a data structure initially
> maintained exclusively by the shim, but perhaps accessed
> by shim6-aware ULPs in a later stage.)

	Interstingly, when the "shim-aware transport" thread
	started on the list, I reviewed the charter and was
	somewhat confused as to the intention behind (what I
	believe to be) the operative/relevant requirement there,
	specifically

o Changes in the addresses that are used below the shim will be
  invisible to the upper layers, which will see a fixed address
  (termed Upper Layer Identifier or ULID).

	and asked the co-chairs about this very topic. Geoff
	suggested several ways that this could be dealt with,
	including the fact that seeing a "fixed" ULID doesn't
	preclude annotating that ULID with various forms of
	information that may be useful to a ULP (i.e., a
	transport protocol).

	You seem to be suggesting a variant of that
	thinking. In all of the cases I discussed with Geoff, as
	well as what you are proposing here, the shim state is
	maintained by the shim layer. That seems in-scope and
	perhaps more importantly, reasonable (for now anyway).

	Dave