Re: failure detection

[I'm still catching up on some mail]

Paul Jakma wrote:

My gut feelings though are:

- Failures typically are near the edges
- Failures are typically bi-directional for a given path
- Uni-directional failures tend to be due to /congestion/, not
  actual failures - again, typically at the edges. Congestion related
  "failures" tend to be very transient/sporadic.

When talking about actual uni-directional failures due to links or routers going bad, I'd agree.

But one assumption we've been making in the multi6/shim6 work is that we want to cover the SOHO multihoming case. Using basically retain ISP service from more than one ISP, where the ISPs might apply ingress filtering, and the site can't get the ISP to relax their ingress filtering.

If we don't do something in this case, then we'll have the routing (and selecting of exit ISP) be completely independent of the (hosts') source address selection, and we will have a very high incidence of packets being dropped by the ingress filters.

Some options for what to do is in draft-huitema-multi6-ingress-filtering-00 (now expired).
Even if such a scheme is standardized and deployed, it might not be deployed everywhere.
Which is why some of see utility in having the capability to try all <source,dest> combinations in both directions of the communication. But I sure do hope that in normal deployment we don't have link/router failures that cause shim6 to have to try close to n^2 locator pairs before finding a working one.

I think one can come up with strategies for the order in which locator pairs are tried that will work efficiently for the normal case of some source address dependent exit router selection (in the cases this is necessary to avoid ingress filtering dropping the packets), and link/router failures. For instance, if A has locators A1, A2 and B has B1, B2, B3, and A is communicating with B using <A1, B1> then when A suspects that the locator pair has stopped working it can try to maximize the probability of using a different path by trying to combinations which change both the source and destination first, and then the pairs that only change one of them. For example, try in the order of
<A2, B2>
<A2, B3>
followed by
<A1, B2>