Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

Hi, Jason,

Some TLVs may also rely on a forwarding component in order to sort the
locator IDs.  I wanted somethin analogous to the current BGP "best" path.
Since end hosts lack routing state, there will need to be another mechinism
to determine shortest path leveraging the forwarding plane.  One method is
to measure the latency in the forwarding path. This seems that this solution should be closely aligned to forwarding path failure detection problem space.

Are we talking about basing path selection on current latency (I thought I understood, later in this thread, RTT latency)?

I would be concerned about what frequency you are measuring this over, and how often you think path selection based on RTT might change.

There's a lot of protocols that have had to add dampening to avoid oscillation, and I'm hoping Shim6 won't be defined so that it changes preferred paths very often, because it's too easy to have multiple senders all figure out that destination B is the high-performance destination - until all the other senders start using destination B, so now destination C is the right answer, and then...

My apologies if I misunderstood what was being proposed.

Spencer