Re: IPv6 Multi-homing BOF at NANOG 35

On 23-sep-2005, at 17:06, David Meyer wrote:

    The IAB has proposed the below BOF for the upcoming NANOG

That's nice, but...

The purpose of this BOF for the IAB is to solicit operator
feedback on the progress and direction of IPv6 multi-homing work,
particularly as discussed in the IETF, and to help the IAB
determine if there is meaningful work that it can do or can
signal to the appropriate IETF WGs to address any problem(s) that
may be perceived with the current direction.

NANOG = network operators in the sense of ISPs and the like. The solution that the shim6 is working on does NOT apply to this demographic.

Not long ago, there was heavy opposition on the NANOG list against unique local addresses in IPv6, which is also something that doesn't impact ISPs. I seem to remember there were also NANOGers argueing for keeping AS numbers 16 bits, but I can't find these posts, so maybe I'm misremembering.

I urge the discussion leaders to make it painfully clear to which types of users the shim6 solution space applies and to which type of users it doesn't.

Minimally, notes
of the session will be posted for those unable to attend the
discussion in person.

NANOG meetings tend to have streaming video. That would be nice for this BOF too.