Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

Brian,

I'm certainly not opposed to your suggestion.  In fact it makes the shim6
more like site multihoming and less like host multihoming and probably
removes one big operator concern that they don't want to manage the
network level traffic engineering on every host.

I think I would like to be more clear on your approach.

> Exactly - that's what I mean by using a policy mechanism - have the site
> boundary routers distribute address selection policy. That is orthogonal
> to the shim and we probably need it anyway, for exit router selection.

One interpretation is to configure the inbound link preferences on all
border routers.  There would be some protocol to signal these preferences
to all local hosts.  When a host is acting as a destination, it would have
to signal its inbound link preference (that was learned from the border
routers) to the source host who is sorting the locators.

Having site boundry routers that are local to the source instructing the
source host how to order the destination locators will only work if we
de-aggragate the IPv6 routing.  Without de-aggragation, the site boundry
routers that are local to the source will lack the needed state to make a
correct choice.

It is possible to have the site boundry routers that are local to the
destination instruct the source how to order the dstination locators.

You can also take the approach of moving the shim function to the border
routers.

You can leave the shimming function on the end hosts and allow
intermediate routers the ability add or change information in the shim

You can leave the shimming function on the end hosts and insert an
additional shim  by intermediate routers such as Paul Jakma suggets.

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Americas' Network Engineering                              schiller@uu.net
UUNET, an MCI brand                                 jason.schiller@mci.com

Keeping the spirit of UUNET engineering alive!