Re: Comments on draft-ietf-shim6-proto-00.txt

Hi Spencer,

El 05/10/2005, a las 19:27, Spencer Dawkins escribió:

Another missing discussion: the document refers to
SCTP as if it would be obvious how it can use Shim6. I'm
not sure that's the case. Or at least its not obvious to me :-)

Just a minor point here - I'm assuming that SCTP would work over Shim6 if an SCTP implementation was Shim6-unaware; the "IPv6 addresses" included in SCTP Init and Init-ACK chunks would work even if a Shim6 added locators for these identifiers "under the covers".

I've been seeing references to "turning Shim6 OFF for SCTP", since SCTP is capable of handling its own multihoming, but I don't think anything is particularly BROKEN if SCTP is naively using identifiers as if they were locators. My understanding is that we're talking about efficiency, not correct operation, when we talk about Shim6 and SCTP in this context.

I have the same understanding about how this should work.

I guess the point is that we have to make sure that this is so, and for this we need to analyze in detail how this shim-sctp interaction would be. For that we need shim and sctp expertise but from what i have seen i think there are many folks involved in sctp around, so i would expect that this analysis is properly performed

regards, marcelo

As Jari pointed out, Shim6 is closely tied to IPv6, but I note that SCTP supports both IPv4 and IPv6 multihoming - this could be an incentive to use SCTP instead of Shim6 for multihoming (if both are available, and if there's a knob to "turn Shim6 OFF for SCTP").

Do others have a different understanding?

Spencer