Re: Design decisions made at the interim SHIM6 WG meeting

thanks for the clarification Jari.

I believe that Jari's comment was the basis of the design
decision No. 8

  Geoff

At 04:40 PM 20/10/2005, Jari Arkko wrote:
I don't recall the exact discussion. FWIW, I think that both the
exploration and other parts of the protocol have a similar
situation with explicit  listing of addresses vs. using indexes:
the former creates a need to be very sure that we have
synchronized lists at both ends in the correct way. IPv6
addresses are large, so there's a tradeoff in packet size
vs. simplicity. At the moment my opinion is that we should
err on the side of simplicity.

In addition, the exploration, reachability, initialization
and update parts have the added complication that if
we ever want to use these components of the protocol
for other purposes, then explicit addresses may be the
only way, given v4 NATs, v4-v6 translation mappings, etc.
may create different views about the addresses on the
two peers.

--Jari

Geoff Huston wrote:

Erik,

My notes were more definite on that point, and I recall the discussion we had, and I thought we erred on the side of extreme caution / conservatism in terms of explicit enumeration of locator sets within control messages rather than assuming that the other end had a synchronized ordered set of locators that of course agreed with the local set.

But if you are confident that this locator set synchronization is maintained within the control message exchange, then this design decision can be dropped and locators can be referred to by their index value within a synchronized ordering of the locator set.

regards,

Geoff