Re: Design decisions made at the interim SHIM6 WG meeting

Erik Nordmark wrote:

Jari Arkko wrote:

I don't recall the exact discussion. FWIW, I think that both the
exploration and other parts of the protocol have a similar
situation with explicit  listing of addresses vs. using indexes:
the former creates a need to be very sure that we have
synchronized lists at both ends in the correct way. IPv6
addresses are large, so there's a tradeoff in packet size
vs. simplicity. At the moment my opinion is that we should
err on the side of simplicity.

In addition, the exploration, reachability, initialization
and update parts have the added complication that if
we ever want to use these components of the protocol
for other purposes, then explicit addresses may be the
only way, given v4 NATs, v4-v6 translation mappings, etc.
may create different views about the addresses on the
two peers.

I guess I somehow lost the simplicity in that second paragraph ;-)

:-)

The latter case is indeed not simple! The 2nd para was
saying that IF someone wants to take on such an ambitious
task, then that dictates the solution.

If the ambition level is lower, then there are two truly
alternative solutions, as noted in 1st para. Here the
solution overall is simpler in any case. But there's still
a difference, I think, compared between a solution
that needs to be in sync vs. one that doesn't. Particularly
if your set of addresses isn't fixed.

Anyway, perhaps we should stop this philosophical debate
and start talking about the specifics. Since we appear to
agree that exploration doesn't use indexes, what does?
LLU appears to not be able to use indexes, so is the
question only about the update of preferences?

--Jari