Review comments on draft-ietf-shim6-failure-detection-03.txt

With my WG Chair hat OFF, i'd like to offer some comments on the failure detection draft

Overall I found this to be a clear specification - I have two comments / queries on the draft

1. Exploration termination

Its clear that once you get bidirectional probe messages being exchanged the exploration algorithm terminates sucessfully with new locators.

   But what condition sets a no viable locator found state?

Section 6.4 includes the comment that garbage collection on contexts terminates contexts that have failed due to the inability of the exploration process to find a working pair.

section 5.3 is unclear as to termination - all I see is the text: "retrying the process as is necessary"

  Is there a termination condition for exploration?

2.  Probe timing

What is the timing base for sending probe packets? I note that 5.3 indicates that successive probe packets should undertake exponential backoff, but is there a start timer interval for probe packets?

It seems to me that a relatively short initial timer can be used, and the exponential backoff would extend this to longer inter-probe timings pretty rapidly.

On a related note, is there a suggested maximum inter-probe time? At what point would exponential backoff not be applied any further?

Also the side note section 6.4 uses the term "happy" - is this a measureable term? ;-)

regards,

   Geoff