Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne) (fwd)

On 2 mar 2006, at 09.13, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

This is not what I think of when I say "multihoming". I don't see an easy way to do this with shim6 (there may be a non-easy way, though) so maybe hosting companies that are big enough to do peering will need to continue to do this as in IPv4.

Couldn't this be implemented into the resolving DNS, in that it could include priority information into the DNS response sent to the host that does the initial connect? Or it could be done via reverse-DNS (in the case where the "called" party needs to know which IP to send to when there are several to choose from)?

this is pretty much SRV records.

Perhaps one state in the shim6 initiation could be to do reverse- lookup and via some record there gain knowledge about which IP should be prioritized? This means that routingpolicy needs to be somehow implemented into the DNS server, which would require new code there as well.

Then you need secure binding beetween forward and reverse DNS. Which just isn't there.

- kurtis -