Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On Apr 13, 2006, at 5:58 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 13-apr-2006, at 23:38, Joe Abley wrote:

Apologies for the circuitous, tangled path of forwarding below. I wasn't in the meeting, so I can't comment on the support that Thomas describes.

If end-site PI assignments for anybody who wants to multi-home come to pass at ARIN, and if the other RIRs follow suit, then there would seem to be a limited opportunity for future deployment of shim6 (or, at least, substantially reduced demand for it).

There are still the basement multi-homers who prefer not to become RIR members, of course :-)

Now obviously the IESG has in the past felt that multi6 and shim6 work was valuable. Although fewer people qualify under this policy (you need to qualify for an IPv4 block and the smallest ones that ARIN gives out are /20s so few people do, AFAIK) than would be able to use shim6, I think it's safe to say that with policies like

While I don't think that there is a last call version yet,
2005-1 basically extends the 2002-3 micro-assignment policy to IPv6, and for that you have to
be multihomed and justify a /22.

Regards
Marshall

this in place shim6 will be dead in the water. Pursuing both seems a big waste of time. So I suggest that the IESG either:

1. Tells ARIN that this policy is incompatible with work inside the IETF so it shouldn't be adopted, or

2. Conclude shim6.

Iljitsch