Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Although fewer people qualify under this policy
> (you need to qualify for an IPv4 block and the smallest ones that
> ARIN gives out are /20s so few people do, AFAIK) than would be able
> to use shim6, I think it's safe to say that with policies like this
> in place shim6 will be dead in the water.

Iljitsch,

I'd like to point out that if people think that PI (and placing 1 or
more routes in the global Internet routing table) is an acceptable
solution to multi-homing, then it is also likely that more specifics of PA
space to support multi-homing is also acceptable, and likely to happen.

This removes the fact that few people would be able to multi-home in the
traditional sense.

So there are only two questions:

1. Is there sufficent need to continue shim6 for a no-frills easy
multi-homing solution for consumer and small business customers that can't
or won't support BGP?

2. Are people concerned with the long term implacations of de-aggrgegation
for multi-homing, and if so, then should we pursue a protocol solution
that has full support for TE in an effort to replace de-aggrgegation as a
solution and halt (or possibly reverse) the growth of the routing table?

BTW, I was one of six people who voted against moving forward with PI.

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller@uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller@verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.