Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

SHIM6 has been chartered by the IESG to work on an identified solution mechanism for site multi-homing in IPv6 that does not entail placing further burden on the global routing system.

The solution path is one that I believe has considerable longer term positive implications to the IP architecture in that it is an approach that allows a session communication to be established in a conventional manner and then create a further association on an end-to-end basis that allows, in a relatively secure fashion, the address locators to shift within the session without incurring the overhead of creating additional application or transport level associations, without adding to the cost of the overall network by calling for the creation of a distribution system of yet another unique token .

SHIM6 will continue its chartered work, of course, and is making good progress with the initial specification.

The issues of scaling the routing system, and the associated consideration of working with the inter-domain routing system to improve its robustness and security also continue to be an impetus for work in this space.

Personally, considering the critical consideration of scaling the IPv6 technology to meet the needs of a truly massively populated network in the fullness of time, I feel entirely comfortable in seeing us work on this scaling issue using a number of approaches at this point in time. Therefore I'm of the personal view that a call to stop working on SHIM6 is somewhat ill-advised right now.

kind regards,

   Geoff