Re: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN

On 14-apr-2006, at 16:02, Durand, Alain wrote:

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic, but the policy can set a
recovery timeframe in its allocation of PI space to end users
and the market forces can drive the recovery based on the
impact to the infrastructure.
If only a few hundred prefixes are handed out, it might not
be enough of a problem to force recovery.

One could argue that if we are only talking about a few hundred
prefixes,
Why do we care reclaiming them?

If the number of prefixes becomes large enough to be problematic, reclaiming those to solve these problems isn't going to work. For one thing, it's likely that such problems won't be experienced to the same degree by different people: people with a few large routers (and deep pockets) will be in a much better position than people with a larger number of smaller routers (and less money). Also, policy development is done regionally while the results are suffered globally. But even discounting all of that, if ARIN were to decide that the prefixes must be revoked, it will take a significant amount of time before that actually happens. It gets worse when people start to sue.

So in practice the only thing that can happen is that if the problem is severe (i.e., that 51% of all people in the (rich) ARIN region feel the pain) the policy is changed so that no _new_ prefixes of this type are given out, and then we have to wait for the increase in router performance over time to make the problem disappear.

If it gets really bad a quick "ipv6 prefix-list no-v6-pi deny ::/0 ge 48" will clean up the routing table and a timeout or two later you're back on IPv4 when trying to reach the holders of these PI blocks.