Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On Apr 14, 2006, at 3:34 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 14-apr-2006, at 2:05, Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) wrote:

I'd like to point out that if people think that PI (and placing 1 or
more routes in the global Internet routing table) is an acceptable
solution to multi-homing, then it is also likely that more specifics of PA space to support multi-homing is also acceptable, and likely to happen.

This removes the fact that few people would be able to multi-home in the
traditional sense.

Actually it doesn't. It's very hard to qualify for a /22 so effectively this only helps Big Content. The issue

No, it is not. (Speaking as someone who has helped people get one.)

Regards
Marshall

of smaller ISPs or whole sale transit carriers that don't give out address space to their customers because those all have PA isn't addressed here.

But it completely changes the game: why spend time on deploying shim6 if you can round up your IPv4 needs to get to a /22 or lobby for reducing the /22 requirement?

So there are only two questions:

1. Is there sufficent need to continue shim6 for a no-frills easy
multi-homing solution for consumer and small business customers that can't
or won't support BGP?

2. Are people concerned with the long term implacations of de- aggrgegation for multi-homing, and if so, then should we pursue a protocol solution that has full support for TE in an effort to replace de- aggrgegation as a solution and halt (or possibly reverse) the growth of the routing table?

Let me add a third question: will shim6 be deployable when people can get PI?

Maybe shim6 can still do some good but we really need to rethink our goals here. I was uncomfortable with moving fast and only implementing bare bones mechanisms before, and even more so now. We should slow down and get it right the first try because if there is a place for shim6 in a world with IPv6 PI, that place is for a GOOD shim6 solution that solves the problem well, something that kinda works just to get something out the door isn't good enough and there won't be a second chance to come up with an improved version.

BTW, I was one of six people who voted against moving forward with PI.

How many people voted in favor?