Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 13:20 -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > [very nice cross posting going on here ;) ]
>
> Nah, I just hit "reply-all", but only one actually made it through.
> I'm not subscribed to the rest of the lists.
>
> I've lowered the CC list to something more reasonable now.
>
> Oh, and commenting derisively on something you do yourself seems a
> bit silly.

Well, just like you, I also nicely hit 'reply-all', except that I am on
the other lists too, thus now your original message did mostly come
through anyway.

> > On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 12:10 -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> > [...
> > large snip about trying to bash shim6 which is not finalized
> > yet, thus how can you bash it ?
> > Note: extra sarcasm included in this post. Eat the eggs with salt.
> > ...]
>
> I don't remember bashing shim6.  I remember saying people do not
> agree it is the way to go.
>
> As for "finalized", if I don't agree with the basic idea of a
> technology (e.g. inserting a "shim" into the IP packet), how can you
> "finalize" it to something with which I will agree?

How can you not agree with something which is not there yet?
You don't like super-duper space engines yet either?

As mentioned, from a business point of view I agree totally, I would not
want it either. From a tech point of view, it will be one of the better
things since sliced bread. The future will tell though.

> >> Oh, and one thing I should have said last time: Technical arguments
> >> are important, but they are only part of the decision process.
> >
> > In other words: "You are right with your arguments, but I just threw
> > your args away as they are futile based on the comparison of money
> > earned this way or the other."...
>
> I'm going to assume you are being sarcastic here, since your
> "translation" is factually incorrect.  I was clear the technical
> arguments are not sufficient, or even close.  I was adding that the
> business elements are an additional hurdle.

Yes, there is some work to be done on shim6, but as long as it isn't
complete, don't say that it is dead already.

> BTW: Sarcasm is usually intended to either be funny or illustrate a
> point.  Your sarcasms is definitely not funny, and the only point you
> are illustrating here is a complete misunderstanding of the
> discussion at hand.

The discussion: "yeah shim6 is dead, long live PI".
Very hard indeed.

> >> People (like me) have explained that the Internet is a business, and
> >> in addition to being .. technically unsavory to many people, shim6 is
> >> simply not viable in a business setting.
> >
> > And as you will only care for your business for the coming 10 or maybe
> > 20 years you really can't care what happens to the internet afterward.
[..]
> This is close to a useful argument.
>
> First...
[..]

I would not agree less.

> >> Neither backbone operators
> >> (vendors) nor end users (customers) are warming to the idea.  Just
> >> the opposite.  (At least in general, the one-in-a-million end user
> >> with DSL and cable who likes the idea 'cause he can't figure out how
> >> to spell "B-G-P" or doesn't want to pay for it is irrelevant.)
> >
> > Irrelevant for you as they don't give you money. Indeed, you only look
> > at your own business interrest (and who can blame you for that ;)
> > (Once though the internet was there for the masses and not only for
> > the
> > ones with cash)
>
> No, irrelevant PERIOD.  You cannot architect the Internet for the one-
> in-a-million end user, _especially_ one who does not pay for the
> infrastructure.

Isn't that like *exactly* what I wrote there: "They don't _pay you_
money and thus you don't care about them."
Which is perfectly valid from a business point of view. But it is
totally not perfect when looking at what the IETF wanted to achieve with
PA-only space.

Some people tend to the little guys, other only cash in on the big ones.
That is business. But that has nothing to do with engineering a sound
protocol.

[..]
> And I still dislike shim6 both technically and commercially,
> personally and professionally.  So does every technical person at my
> company who has any interest in this topic.

As I wrote in the previous mail, just wait till shim6 is finalized then
start flaming it. Nevertheless, it should be backward compatible and it
will

> It is not just backbones.  Shim6 is not commercially viable.  Period.

As I also mentioned, there is enough interrest for it, if you don't want
it then simply ignore it.

> > That is in the long run, most likely in the coming 10-20 years the
> > IPv6
> > routing tables will not have 'exploded' yet, but the folks selling
> > equipment and having stocks of those venders after that most likely
> > will
> > have a nice retirement fund. Thanks to you!
>
> First, thank you for thinking I am so important.

Well the "you" is the group of people who arranged the PI. But if you
want to take the credit, they are all yours ;)

> Second: Whatever.  If you honestly believe cisco & juniper will fail
> or succeed based on shim6, you really need to reevaluate your
> hypothesis.

Those companies can't care less, why should they, they can keep on
selling bigger fatter newer shinier boxes anyway.

> > Nevertheless, the PI thing is really *not* a bad thing, as it can be
> > used as an identifier for shim6, which is actually perfect. It just
> > saves on having to do a complete policy process for getting address
> > space for this type of usage. But thanks to this, this won't be needed
> > and thus in the end anybody who can get PI can use a shim6-alike
> > solution and won't have any problem with the upstream that actually
> > wanted to lock them in by letting them pay loads for an entry in
> > the BGP
> > tables.
> >
> > Thus people voting for PI, thanks for helping shim6 or another
> > solution
> > in that space, progress a lot :)
>
> Then why are we arguing about this?

Did I argue? I only commented about some of your statements to which I
don't agree.

Greets,
 Jeroen