Re: I-D ACTION:draft-van-beijnum-shim6-suppress-header-00.txt

Hi Iljitsch,

a couple of comments about this draft...

first of all, the possibility of using the flow label is not considered, why is that? I think it is a good option and it is much cleaner than using the tcp/UDP ports... i would suggest to include it.

Second, i am not sure if using transport ports is the best option since it would limit the context to a single communication... or are you considering binding multiple port pairs to the same shim context?... in any case, i guess we would need to flesh out this a bit more in order to understand how would it work...

Another possibility would be to use IPSec SPI field, a la hip, in case that the communication is using IPSec

finnally, some details about the actual text...

in section 3 Capabilities exchange it is stated that:

When bit 0 is set, the host indicates that it knows how to demultiplex
packets belonging to the shim context being negotiated under all
circumstances, so the sender MUST NOT add a shim header to these
packets.

However, in most cases (as outlined earlier) the cooperation of the
sender is required to make sure that multiplexing can be done
successfully, so when bit 0 is set to zero, the shim6 header may only be
suppressed when the hosts involved have at least one capability in
common. If there is any doubt, the shim6 header MUST NOT be suppressed.

i fail to understand this part...

i mean when bit 0 is set, the peer must or must not suppress the header?

Regards, marcelo