RE: IPsec Issue Discussed for Shim6 at IETF Meeting July 10, 2006

Brian and Joe, (thanks).

If ULID is both ID and Locator that is fine.  Here is more on my issue
and sorry for late response traveling and email is a pain.

If when the packet is transmitted and the Locator is not the ULID, AND
the ULID is the SA to decrypt the packet is my concern.

Here is why.

First that means some form of out-of-band signaling was done to identify
a Locator to a ULID so the decrypt can even happen. This is out of scope
for the IPsec architecture we clearly did not support out-of-band
singaling for IPsec all the way back to the 1994 or 1995 Danvers IETF
meeting when we decided to move to IPsec.

Second I am concerned about implementations that now assume per IPsec
that in fact the Locator is the SA in the arriving or sending packet to
another node.

Does that help?

Thanks
/jim