RE: CGA Use with HBA in Shim6 IETF Meeting July 10, 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Bound, Jim wrote:
I don't think we can ever require that and nor have we in any spec. Preshared keys work but the point is that is a market decision not an IETF decision. We build the protocols with operational guidance in some cases whether or how they are used in the market is a red herring for our work to keep moving forward. We are more like scientists not marketing and business people.

Exactly. Which is why we should move ahead without IPsec and PKI requirement.

This debate seems pretty much like a recap of MIPv6 route optimization security discussions about 5 or so years ago. IPsec and PKI were deemed insufficient _in practice_, for _the general solution_, and I don't think the situation has changed in a significant way.

I don't think no one is disputing that IPsec and PKI could be useful in some contexts where PKI has already been deployed. If folks think this is a sufficiently useful scenario, maybe it would be worth specifying in an optional shim6 extension.