Re: CGA Use with HBA in Shim6 IETF Meeting July 10, 2006

On 19-jul-2006, at 21:58, Bound, Jim wrote:

I believe if we encrypt everything (not just shim6 and I did not agree with all the mipv6 threats either and let it go and emphatically disagree with RR strategy ) at the IP layer we are going to be 90% secure most of the time world wide.

A lot of mail servers these days encrypt the SMTP session. We still see all kinds of bad stuff in email.

Simply encrypting everything only increases packet overhead, CPU requirements and makes debugging extremely hard without necessarily solving anything.

Authentication is much more important and even that is certainly not always required.