RE: visibility of identifier in shim6 payload packet

My understanding of the potential problem is as follows:

- there are multiple ways to implement IPsec:  BITW, BITS, and native

- BITS and BITW operate below the IP layer.  If these types of IPsec
implementations talk to each other, there should be no problem if the
SPD/SAD is defined on the basis of the locators.  There is a problem of
ULID visibility if someone tried to define the SPD/SAD on the basis of
ULIDs

- there is also no problem if two native IPsec implementations talk to
each other using the ULIDs as the IPsec addresses, with both native
IPsec implementations above the shim6 layer

- there is a potential interoperability problem if a native (host)
implementation with SPD/SAD based on ULIDs tries to set up SAs with BITS
or BITW implementations, which don't have visibility into the ULIDs.

Aside from the native-to-non-native case, I don't really see a problem.
In fact, it should be possible that end-to-end native IPsec is running
between hosts (this end-to-end is based on the ULID) while BITW is used
as an additional IPsec encapsulation between sites (this BITW-BITW is
based on locators).  It may be that mobike techniques can be applied to
allow a BITS host to be multihomed and talk to a BITW gateway.

For the native-to-non-native case, this seems to me to be related to the
IKE NAT traversal problem (RFC3947).  I don't know offhand whether the
IKE extensions defined there could also apply to shim6, or whether more
work is needed, or whether that particular use case is really important.

Tom