Re: IPsec Issue Discussed for Shim6 at IETF Meeting July 10, 2006

El 08/08/2006, a las 17:00, Bound, Jim escribió:

HBA does not prevent attacks that IPsec does.  See IPsec.

i agree with this

let's see if you agree with the following statements:

- in any case, some of the attacks that are prevented by IPSec are not prevented by HBA

- It is possible to build a security mechanisms to protect the shim6 protocol using IPSec with preshared keys or with PKI that actually prevents all the threats described in RFC4218

- It is not possible to build a security mechanisms to protect the shim6 protocol using IPSec without preshared keys nor PKI that prevents all the threats described in RFC4218 (in particular, it is not possible to provide protection against redirection of future communications to a given identifier)

If you do not agree with the last bullet, please describe how would you build a security mechanisms for the shim6 protocol that actually protects from this type of attacks using IPSec without using pre shared keys or PKI. I mean if you can provide an actual solution that works, it would be really useful because we could compare them and see the pros and cons. Comparing a full fleshed silution like HBA with some undocumented solution based on IPSec is extremely hard...

By Red Herring for IPsec PKI I am saying that the issue of PKI is often used to not use end-to-end today (as I described it before) because of PKI and just a means to win another technology discussion point often to support the further use of mid-com boxes which is in the way of true end-to-end. It is an art of negotiations to position that which is not the issue against the real issue avoiding addressing the real issue. IPsec is now being used as strategy by every government and industry I know for those deploying not just IPv6. It provides defense in depth at layer 3. Not having it as an option for shim6 is irresponsible by us in an IETF shim6 WG.

but this is not the case...

i mean the shim6 is completelly compatible with IPSec (or it should be). The goal is that you can use shim6 and IPSec toghether in the same communication, i don't think there is any doubt about it.

The problem is that IPSec does not provides all the protection that it is required by the shim protocol if there are no pre shared keys or PKI, so we need additional tools in this case. It would be irresponsible by us to accept a solution that introduces critical vulnerabilities like identify hijacking by supporting opportunistic IPSec as a security solution for the shim protocol

So, i fully agree that shim6 and IPSec must run together, Moreover, i think it is a good idea that if the peers are already using IPSec and they have a preshared key or a pki with a common anchor point available, they use IPSec to protect the shim6 protocol. What is more, i am willing to work with you to design such approach and write it down in an ID and see that it fits in the shim6 protocol. However, we must provide an alternative solution for the case where the pre shared kay and the PKI are not available and a security solution based on IPSEc in not secure enough for this case. So far this solution is based on the HBAs

The compromise I suggest to the WG is remove any security from base shim6 spec which will never be deployed at least for 3 years and permit the WG to work on multiple solutions as an exercise.

again i don't think that we can send a protocol wihtout proper security, it is just a useless protocol, since it cannot be deployed (and i guess that the IESG will reject it)

my suggestion is let's discuss the security solutions now... we have been working on this too long to delay it further.

we can design a security solution based on IPSecfor the case were it can be used safely (preshared key or PKI)

In the interim for any testing or scoping IPsec can be clearly used in R&D labs to secure packets. And any shime6 IP stack implementation should be architected in products to be modular to support multiple means to secure Locator communications for session use for multihoming.

this is already the case

the current version of the shim6 protocol does support multiple security mechanism and can be extended to other security mechanisms that is why i say that it would straight forward to design a solution based on IPSEc with preshared keys or PKI

regards, marcelo

We should also only conceptually specify the layer model whether above IP, above TCP, etc. (note do not assume a strict layering model IP can call TCP etc. at any point time and vice/versa).

The entire discussion regarding Security for shim6 should be required to be reviewed by the IPsec WG and IETF Security Area Directorate.

Best,
/jim