Multiple security mechanisms

[BTW: I'm reposting three messages from last week that I don't think made it to the list.]

How about the following to move forward in the dicussion on HBA/CGA patent issues and the need/want for other security mechanisms:

I still have to do a full review of the shim6 proto spec, but the way I understand it, today, the security mechanism (HBA) is either an integral part of the signalling, or it's encapsulated into the shim6 signalling protocol.

What if we make this the other way around? So we isolate the shim6 signalling from the security and then allow multiple security mechanisms to encapsulate the signalling and send it over the wire using appropriate mechanisms. For the current stuff this would look like this:

[shim header][shim signalling][HBA/CGA]

or

[shim header][HBA/CGA][shim signalling]

The changes, if needed, should be minimal: just move the HBA/CGA stuff and the shim6 signalling to opposite ends of the packet so they can be easily separated.

Then, if someone were to take it upon themselves to specify shim6 with TLS security or shim6 with IPsec security, that would look like this:

[tcp][tls([shim signalling])]

[esp([udp][shim6 signalling])]

[ah][udp][shim6 signalling]

Additionally, the TLS/IKE people can define extensions to their protocols to signal the capability to do shim6 and if both sides support it and the necessary prerequisites are met (certificates at both ends, for instance), they can trigger a shim signalling exchange protected by TLS or IPsec so we wouldn't need to implement complex capability negotiations in shim6, and if desired, the shim6 signalling can be encrypted for additional security.