Re: comments on draft-ietf-shim6-proto-05.txt

Joe Abley wrote:
There are a couple of variations of shim6 deployment scenario that probably deserve some thought:

[...]

Yes, so we do need to analyze these scenarios. (It would be better
if shim6 turned itself off in such cases.)

I think we need more analysis than that :-)

From the point of view of shim6 being used in the real world, it would be a far better result if it could be demonstrated that shim6 could coexist happily with load balancers, at least in principle. The alternative is that a shim6 client will see substantially no benefit over a client with no shim6 stack at all when interacting with most popular content.

To consider an extreme scenario for a second, if no servers support shim6, then shim6 provides no benefit to clients. The motivation to deploy shim6 in such a scenario might reasonably be expected to be near zero.

I think this is a good topic for draft-ietf-shim6-applicability
to discuss.

   Brian