Re: IPR Notice

At 11:50 PM 19/12/2006, Fred Baker wrote:
On Dec 19, 2006, at 7:04 AM, Bound, Jim wrote:
I simply do not agree.  IETF should say: Do not bring your IPR to
the IETF unless you are giving it away with NO STRINGS attached.
Simple.  If you do it will not be used.  We are certainly capable
of inventing our own work based on the many persons in this community.

Point of Order...

At this point, haven't we overstepped the charter of shim6 and moved
into the charter of ietf-ipr?

No, I don't believe so

The instruction of the ADs in this case was that the Working Group must be satisfied with the IPR claims in relation to technology that they are passing to the IESG for publication as proposed standards for SHIM6..

I have voiced some objection to this instruction on the basis that I know I am no IPR lawyer, and I suspect that the overall majority of the SHIM6 WG are not IPR lawyers either, and the IETF would be better advised to seek professional advice at the IESG level, but the outcome of that discussion with the ADs was that IPR is a WG matter.

So, according to the above stipulation then this is a necessary conversation. for this working group.

In this case my call is that if you believe otherwise, please take the matter to the ADs.

Thanks,

  Geoff