Re: always including the context tag

On 28-dec-2006, at 18:57, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

1. Always including the context tag

As I've said many times, it's a very bad idea to unnecessarily increase overhead.

well, i think having an additional header is the clean way to do this, because there is an additional layer that is being inserted and the layer needs to perform its signalling and this is achieved using a extra header.

Clean != best

We also have ample precedent for non-clean solutions.  :-)

Earlier, I proposed to include a mandatory way for a host to instruct its peer to not include the shim header, pending mechanisms to do demultiplexing without the context tag. After reading the draft, I realize that this imposes some extra ICMP demultiplexing difficulties on implementations.

depending on which fields do you use for the demux, i guess... i mean if you use the flow label, there wouldn't be additional problems, i think, right?

Right, but that's not a discussion that we need to have. What I advocate is having the receiver tell the sender that it must not include the header because the receiver can demux. How the receiver does this is up to the receiver and doesn't need to be part of this spec. (The most obvious choice is having locator-only addresses for each ULID address so there is always an unambigious identification of packets sent to locators and an unambiguous mapping back to the ULID.)

So if the wg doesn't want to include this mandatory option, I suggest something different: since the traffic engineering mechanisms aren't really developed anyway and this problem is related to that, simply remove the locator preferences mechanism so that the context tag suppression can be included when proper traffic engineering is added.

i don't think this is such a good idea...

i mean i think locator preferneces are useful, i don't see why we should remove them from the spec...

They're useful, but if we have locator preferences and not context tag suppression, this creates the opportunity for using shim6 as a load balancing mechanism that introduces additional per-packet overhead in cases where there is no failure. This is a very bad thing, in my opinion.

So that's why I think if we can't agree on the CT suppression in this spec, we should also remove the preferences and then introduce both of them at some later date, along with a more comprehensive traffic engineering solution, because the preferences alone aren't enough for that anyway.