Re: AD review of draft-ietf-shim6-proto -- sections 6 through 7.17

Hi Jari,

El 12/09/2007, a las 16:59, Jari Arkko escribió:

Continuing with the review:

Substantial:

o For each peer locator, a flag whether it has been verified using
      HBA or CGA, and a bit whether the locator has been probed to
      verify that the ULID is present at that location.

Is there a need to remember *when* such probing has last
happened? If not, why not?

My view on this one is:

There are two perspectives for this test: the security perspective and the reachability perspective.

This document only deals with the security perspective, while the reachability perspective is detailed in the failure detection document. For the reachability perspective, this info and other info may be needed, but this is not covered by this document, since the failure detection document describes this part in detail.

From the security perspective, this is covered in this document, and i don't think the time information is needed. I mean, if the test has been successful once, then you have a sufficient protection against flooding attacks imho (we do not need to protect against time shifted flooding attacks imho) Please note that section 7.2. locator verification reccommends that the reachability verification is performed just before the locator is to be used, which seems to me the appropriate time to do this.

So, to proceed i would ask:

do you think we need to include additional information that is used for reachability status or is it ok that this is not covered by this document and covered by the failure detection document? do you agree that the proper level of security is achieved without keeping track about when the test was performed or do you think this info is needed?

   o  The preferred peer locator - used as destination; Lp(peer)

First, this sentence was hard to parse. Second, preferred != the
one we are using as a destination. Please explain or
modify. Did you mean the current locator that we are using?

yes, the preferred peer locator is the one we are using as destination

The failure-detection draft uses the term "current address
pair", so it would be good to align with that.

ok, i have changed it to current peer locator

and i have rephrased it to make it clearer as:

o The current peer locator, is the locator used as destination address when sending packets; Lp(peer)

similarly to the source one:

o The current local locator, is the locator used as source address when sending packets; Lp(local)

regards, marcelo

I'm reading
on...

   o  The preferred local locator - used as source; Lp(local)

As above.

Jari