RE: shim6 control packets coming from unkown locators

Hi Erik,

<snip>
> > Within the ENABLE project (www.ist-enable.org) SHIM6 has been evaluated
> as a
> > possible mobility solution. The fact that UPDATE REQUEST message that
> comes
> > from an unknown locator is not accepted was a problem in this context.
> >
> > So, if this possibility is still open I would like to push for it, at
> least
> > for the UPDATE REQUEST message and if no security risks are introduced,
> of
> > course.
> >
> > This would open the field for SHIM6 as a mobility solution, there are
> other
> > missing pieces being evaluated as well, because of its LOC/ID split
> nature.
> > This would be in addition to the multihoming support.
>
> While Mobile-IP is outside of the scope of the SHIM6 WG (above from the
> "do no harm" level) here are some considerations.
>
> I think it is possible to use SHIM6 in a mobility context without
> allowing update messages from unknown locators. My take is that any
> complete IP mobility solution needs some form of rendez-vous point, such
> as a home agent or set of home agents. That is necessary in order to
> allow initial contact and also to allow for simultaneous movement of two
> communicating peers. Once the MNs have such a fixpoint (or set of
> fixpoints) then it is trivial to have the update messages be sent with a
> source locator that is already known to the peer; if all locators have
> changed at once there is still the home locator which the MN can use by
> tunneling the update message via its home agent(s).
>
> Have you considered such an approach in your work?

Yes, in fact, actual work seems to go in that direction but following this
path we reach an almost-MIPv6 solution. The SHIM6 only approach had some
advantages over MIPv6 if it does not use the rendez-vous point. A balance
among them seems to be the key.

Best regards,
Alvaro Vives
Consulintel