From: Henderson, Thomas R
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 9:43 AM
To: 'openhip-announce@lists.sourceforge.net'; 'openhip-users@lists.sourceforge.net'; 'openhip-developers@lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: shim6 implementation posted

We would like to announce a new set of packages at OpenHIP:  an initial shim6 [1] release.  shim6 stands for "Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation" and is architecturally related to HIP.  Our shim6 implementation is a multithreaded C++ user-space process that interfaces with a standard Linux kernel (extended via loadable kernel modules).  Although we do not require kernel patches to support the shim, we do require specific kernel versions since the modules we are using do not have stable APIs across kernel releases.  This release is not ready for production use but implements many of the features of the shim6 protocol set.

Software: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=132288

Documentation: http://www.openhip.org/document.html

The shim6 release is also notable for OpenHIP because it marks the first steps towards a reorganization of the HIP software for improved modularity and isolation of platform specific components.  For instance, our implementation of the shim6 REAP protocol is designed to support also HIP, and we have started work on a HIP Abstraction Library (HAL) that provides platform-independent APIs for system interfaces common utilities such as checksum computations and message TLV construction.

We do not have a new HIP release at this time (the 0.5 release from October 2007 is still current) but our focus will shift now to implementing the HIP NAT traversal support.

If you are interested in contributing to the OpenHIP project or using the software, please visit our webpage at http://www.openhip.org and contact us.

- Tom Henderson and Jeff Ahrenholz

[1] http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/shim6-charter.html