Re: Linux-freebsd-Winxx tcp/ip stack

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 02:44:59PM +0000, AINA ALAIN PATRICK wrote:
> how long it takes for a  windows, linux or freebsd box to send packet to
> alternate default router when primary fails.

Hmm. I can't speak for Windows. I seem to remember trying this with Linux a
long time ago, and it wasn't useful (basically, you just don't want to have
two default routes - it's a Bad Thing). I'm not sure FreeBSD does anything
useful in that circumstance either.

I suggest you set up a little test rig to try it, but I don't think it will
work well (how will it know when the router is down - if it refuses to
respond to ARP queries? But it could be many minutes before you ARP for the
router again)

If you want two upstream routers for redundancy you are probably better off
running a virtual router protocol like VRRP (generic) or HSRP
(Cisco-specific) - then the host doesn't know or care which router it is
talking to.

B.