RE: access to temp addrs in DSTM

Trimmed Cc: list a bit.

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Bound, Jim wrote:
[...]
> So I feel I am very correct in arguing to the IETF DSTM is an
> architecture and method that folks do want in the IETF or there would
> not be so many adjunct extensions for DSTM.  [...]

Why not make the IPv4 address management (a bit more clearly perhaps) a
bit more clearly a replaceable part of the architecture?

Mainly my objection is that the DSTM model as I see it is using v6-only
network and tunneling IPv4 over that (when necessary).  "When necessary"
varies greatly between people deploying DSTM.  For example, one company
here with an IPv4 assignment of /16 with 4000 nodes may be interested in
something similar; it is possible that some folks do not see the IPv4
shortage as direly as others, and may want to use some other mechanism for
handling IPv4 addresses (static assignment, DHCPv4, whatever).

That's IMHO the simplest and the most "robust" and "stable" case (==
requires no code at all I think).  More complex mechanisms (like using
RPC, or whatever) may be warranted, but these should be an extension.

Perhaps this clarifies how I feel about the architecture or DSTM framework
if I may.

[...]
> I think Tony Hain summed it up really well when he stated we need to
> complete the work on the Enterprise, UnManaged, and ISP ops design teams
> and see what we learn from those deployment works.

Indeed.

[...]
> Lastly I don't agree with Francis at all and I believe the Port Range
> extensions draft for DSTM in fact is a very good piece of work and in
> fact will work and assist customers transitioning with DSTM.

Port Range extension is an interesting idea, but I have great doubts on
the robustness.  In particular, I don't see any way the node could
reliably control that an application doesn't just use any port it wishes
to use regardless of the assigned ports.  It may be useful in some very
restricted cases, but probably not so in general.